Horse Riding Adventures near Sydney
Sydney’s best horse riding centre is at Glenworth Valley. With over 200 quality horses, we cater for the exact needs of all riders. Visitors to Glenworth Valley have the option of free-range horse riding or guided horse riding.
Our friendly staff will select a horse to suit your riding ability, from gentle horses for beginners to more challenging horses for experienced riders. Individual instruction is given to all riders prior to departure and roving supervisors are on hand to assist riders if required.
Guided horse riding
Guided horse riding is suitable for riders of all abilities, with no previous horse riding experience required. Instruction on control and management of your horse is given before leaving the yards and a professional and friendly guide will accompany you on your ride. You will be shown the features of the area while riding and once you feel proficient and confident with your horse you may be able to leave the group and explore the valley at your own pace.
Free-range horse riding
Free-range horse riding is available for experienced riders who feel confident with their horse and who wish to explore the valley at their own pace. All riders are given instruction on control and management of the horse before leaving the yards to ride wherever they like without a guide. In order to go free range riding we like you to have ridden at least 50 times before however the final decision regarding rider experience and ability for free range riding rests with the Yard Manager on the day.
Lead pony rides
Lead pony rides are available for children aged 3 to 12 years old, for 1 hour. An adult is required to lead the pony/horse from the ground. For children under 5 years old, 2 adults are required; one to lead and one to walk beside. Up to 2 children can share the lead pony in one hour (one at a time).
Prices (inc GST)
|Guided rides |
|Departs at 10am and 2pm||$95.00pp (2 hours minimum)|
|Guided / Free Range rides 4 hours (Mon – Fri)||Departs at 10am (Guided riders will return to the horse yards after 2 hours to give you and your horse a rest before re-departing at 2pm. We recommend bringing a picnic lunch).||$150.00 pp|
|Guided rides |
(weekends and public holidays)
|Departs at 9.30am, 11am and 2pm||$95.00 pp (2 hours minimum)|
|Guided / Free Range |
4 hours (weekends)
|Departs at 9:30 and 11am||$150.00pp|
|Free-range rides |
(experienced riders only)
|Departs at 10am and 2pm Monday – Friday, and at 9.30am, 11am and 2pm weekends and public holidays.||$95.00 pp (2 hours minimum)|
|Free range rides – full day |
(experienced riders only)
|Departs at 10am Monday – Friday |
or 9.30am weekends.
|$180.00 pp (6 hours)|
|School holiday special |
|11am only Monday – Friday |
|$90 per adult (1.5 hrs) |
$82 per child (1.5 hrs)
|Lead ponies |
(for children aged 3-12 years)
|1 hour||$60.00 per horse|
|Horse riding and quad biking||2 hour horse adventure and 1.5 hour quad bike tour. Enjoy one activity in the morning and one in the afternoon, or one activity each day.||$180 pp |
(regular price $200.00)
|Horse riding and abseiling||2 hour horse adventure and 2.5 hour abseiling tour. Enjoy one activity in the morning and one in the afternoon, or do one activity each day.||$167.00 pp |
(regular price $185.00)
|Horse riding and kayaking||2 hour horse adventure and 2.5 hour kayak tour. Enjoy one activity in the morning and one in the afternoon, or one activity each day.||$153 pp (regular price $170.00)|
|Horse riding and laser skirmish||2 hour horse adventure and 3 hours of laser skirmish. Enjoy one activity in the morning and one in the afternoon, or one activity each day.||$149.00 pp (regular price $165.00)|
|Bringing your own horse||Bring your own horse to our property for the day||$50.00 per horse|
Adult Intermediate Clinics
Our special ‘1 day Adult Intermediate Clinic’ has returned to Glenworth Valley and is suitable for adults (18+ years) with an intermediate level of riding experience.
It is a mandatory requirement that students of this intermediate class are able to trot without holding on and canter whilst holding on. It is also a requirement for students to have taken previous lessons either at Glenworth Valley or elsewhere. Please advise at time of booking of the previous experience you have.
Students will take a scenic ride up to the Glenworth Valley agistment area where they will take part in two x 1hr riding lessons, as well as lectures covering horsemanship techniques, confirmation and feeding the performance horse. Also included in the day is a mini clinic on ground work.
|Bookings:||CLICK HERE for dates, times and costs. For further information phone: (02) 4375 1222|
|Enrolment Forms:||CLICK HERE to download an enrolment form. Important: This form must only be completed after you have made a booking & payment through our system above.|
Tour departure times
- Horse Riding tours depart daily 7 days a week.
- Check-in is 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time
To make a booking for horse riding, book now!
Important information and rider restrictions
- The wearing of a helmet is compulsory for all riders and is an additional $5 per person. You are welcome to bring your own horseriding helmet or may purchase one from us
- Helmet hire is free of charge for children under 18 years.
- The minimum age for trail rides is 7 years old. Children aged under 7 years may enjoy a lead pony/horse ride.
- Please be advised that all horse rides are subject to availability of a suitable horse.
- For safety and animal welfare reasons, Glenworth Valley has a maximum weight limit of 105kg.
- Please be aware that our maximum weight limit may be lower than 105kgs and is subject to variation on a daily basis according to what horses are available for work on the day that you attend.
- In addition to a person’s weight, whether we have a suitable horse available also depends upon a riders height to weight ratio, riding experience, general muscle tone and fitness levels.
- As such, Glenworth Valley is unable to guarantee that a suitable horse will be available for you on the day of your ride, however every effort will be made to provide you with a suitable mount.
What to wear and bring
- We recommend full length pants, jodhpurs, moleskins and jeans are ideal.
- Footwear needs to be fully enclosed such as horse riding boots or shoes with a flat sole and small heel. If you don’t have these, we have riding boots available for hire or you can wear runners or sandshoes however they are not recommended. Sandals, thongs or large bulky shoes with a heavy tread pattern are not permitted.
- For safety reasons backpacks and the like are not permitted to be worn whilst horse riding.
- Depending on the weather we suggest bringing sunscreen, insect repellent & brimmed hat.
- Glenworth Valley sells sunscreen, insect repellent, caps and shirts.
- A cafe is open serving food and beverages most weekends and vending machines operate all week with drinks and snacks.
Camping at Glenworth Valley
After horse riding why not take some time out to enjoy yourself with a night under the stars in unspoilt surroundings. Relax in 200 acres of secluded riverfront camp sites or build a camp fire and wake up to a fun-filled day of adventure activities. We are located just 1 hour from Sydney Harbour Bridge and Newcastle or 20 minutes from Gosford.
Click here for further information on camping at Glenworth Valley, including a map of our camping areas.