Sydney’s best horse riding centre is at Glenworth Valley. With over 200 quality horses, we cater for the exact needs of all riders. Visitors to Glenworth Valley have the option of free-range horse riding or guided horse riding.
Our friendly staff will select a horse to suit your riding ability, from gentle horses for beginners to more challenging horses for experienced riders. Individual instruction is given to all riders prior to departure and roving supervisors are on hand to assist riders if required.
Guided horse riding
Guided horse riding is suitable for riders of all abilities, with no previous horse riding experience required. Instruction on control and management of your horse is given before leaving the yards and a professional and friendly guide will accompany you on your ride. You will be shown the features of the area while riding and once you feel proficient and confident with your horse you may be able to leave the group and explore the valley at your own pace.
Free-range horse riding
Free-range horse riding is available for experienced riders who feel confident with their horse and who wish to explore the valley at their own pace. All riders are given instruction on control and management of the horse before leaving the yards to ride wherever they like without a guide. In order to go free range riding we like you to have ridden at least 50 times before however the final decision regarding rider experience and ability for free range riding rests with the Horse Centre Manager on the day.
Lead pony rides
Lead pony rides are available for children aged 3 to 12 years old, for 1 hour. An adult is required to lead the pony/horse from the ground. For children under 5 years old, 2 adults are required; one to lead and one to walk beside. Up to 2 children can share the lead pony in one hour (one at a time).
Prices (inc GST)
|Departs at 10.00am and 2.00pm||From $115.00pp* (2 hours minimum)|
|Guided / Free Range rides 4 hours (Mon – Fri)||Departs at 10a.00m (Guided riders will return to the horse yards after 2 hours to give you and your horse a rest before re-departing at 2pm. We recommend bringing a picnic lunch).||From $180.00 pp*|
(weekends and public holidays)
|Departs at 9.00am, 11.00am and 2.00pm||From $115.00 pp* (2 hours minimum)|
|Guided / Free Range
4 hours (weekends)
|Departs at 9.00 and 11.00am||From $180.00pp*|
(experienced riders only)
|Departs at 10.00am and 2.00pm Monday – Friday, and at 9.00am, 11.00am and 2.00pm weekends and public holidays.||From $115.00 pp* (2 hours minimum)|
|School holiday special
|11.00am only Monday – Friday
|From $105.00pp* (1.5 hrs)|
(for children aged 3-12 years)
|1 hour||From $70.00 per horse*|
|Bringing your own horse||Bring your own horse to our property for the day||From $60.00 per horse*|
Tour departure times
- Horse Riding tours depart daily 7 days a week.
- Check-in is 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure time
To make a booking for horse riding, book now!
Important information and rider restrictions
- *Higher rates apply on public holiday long weekends
- The wearing of a helmet is compulsory for all riders and is an additional $5.00 per person.
- Price excludes helmet hire. Helmets are compulsory and can be hired for an additional $5 fee.
- Have Your Own Certified Helmet? Helmets are compulsory for all riders. Present your current Australian Standards approved (AS/NZ 3838) or recognised equivalent horse riding helmet for inspection on the day of your activity. Non expired, AS/NZ certification label must be visible to receive a refund of your helmet hire fee.
- The minimum age for trail rides is 7 years old. Children aged under 7 years may enjoy a lead pony/horse ride.
- Please be advised that all horse rides are subject to availability of a suitable horse.
- For safety and animal welfare reasons, Glenworth Valley has a maximum weight limit of 105kg.
- Please be aware that our maximum weight limit may be lower than 105kgs and is subject to variation on a daily basis according to what horses are available for work on the day that you attend.
- In addition to a person’s weight, whether we have a suitable horse available also depends upon a riders height to weight ratio, riding experience, general muscle tone and fitness levels.
- As such, Glenworth Valley is unable to guarantee that a suitable horse will be available for you on the day of your ride, however every effort will be made to provide you with a suitable mount.
What to wear and bring
- We recommend full length pants, jodhpurs, moleskins and jeans are ideal.
- Footwear needs to be fully enclosed such as horse riding boots or shoes with a flat sole and small heel. If you don’t have these, we have riding boots available for hire or you can wear runners or sandshoes however they are not recommended. Sandals, thongs or large bulky shoes with a heavy tread pattern are not permitted.
- For safety reasons backpacks and the like are not permitted to be worn whilst horse riding.
- Depending on the weather we suggest bringing sunscreen, insect repellent & brimmed hat.
- Glenworth Valley sells sunscreen, insect repellent, caps and shirts.
- A cafe is open serving food and beverages most weekends and vending machines operate all week with drinks and snacks.